Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Our Five Senses!!

We are learning about our five senses this week in school.  Here are some things our friends have been writing about in journal writing about our five senses. 
“I taste a muffin.  It tastes really good.” Wesley
“I touch flowers.” Aaron
“I see Mrs. Deaton.” Gracie
“I smell a cookie in the oven.” Jatzibe
“I hear my mom talking on the phone.” Jasmine

We are also talking about the letters Ii and Rr.  Did you know that Ii is a vowel and it makes two sounds? We are learning all about our letters in school!





Today was picture day.  We took our pictures in the gym this morning.  Our principal, Dr. Marsh, was in there.  Also, there were two photographers that were taking pictures. We smiled really big! 



Our class did well during both rounds of Daily 5 this morning. Everyone did one round of Read to Self.  Some of us took our istation tests and other people got to go to Book Club with Mrs. Deaton.  Two groups got to go to Working with Words, which was a lot of fun. 






 
 
 

Right after we got out of Music class, instead of going to recess we had to sit in the hallway for a tornado drill.  Dr. Marsh let us know that we needed to stay safe by sitting in the hallway until the tornado warning was over.  Even though it was boring sitting in the hallway, we had to be safe.  Mrs. Feller gave us five popcorn scoops for being so good during the drill.  We are almost to the top of our popcorn jar, which means we are almost ready for a class party!  We can’t wait!

When the tornado drill was over, we started our work centers. 
“I sorted my Rr and Ii pictures.” Kamila
“I put my race cars in order from 1 to 10.” Josh
“I put pattern blocks on my rabbit.” Cam’Ron
“I made Sally Senses.” Abby
“I sorted pictures by what I see, hear, smell, taste and touch.” Levi






We are talking about our numbers in math.  Mrs. Deaton is teaching us number poems to help us remember how to write the numbers.  Here are two of our poems we have learned: “Around a tree. Around a tree.  That’s the way to make a 3!" and "Short neck. Tummy fat. Mr. 5 wears a hat.”  The poems are really fun!



Math centers are fun this week.  Math club worked on our numbers 0-5 with Mrs. Deaton.  Some of us got to play “Apple for my Teacher”, which is a really cool and awesome game that we get to play with a partner.  One group got to go to IXL math on the computer.  Some other kids got to play “Shape Surprise”.  We have to close our eyes and pick a shape out of the bag.  Then, we have to trace and color that shape on our paper.  Fun!







We are definitely having fun learning in school this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment